Wednesday 8 June 2016

The Killing Doll by Ruth Rendell

I enjoyed the first Rendell book I read, so I tried this one.

Pup and Dolly Yearman lose their mother at a fairly young age. Pup decides to sell his soul to the devil to have a happy life while Dolly goes from being his sister to his mother. Pup takes up magic, but for Dolly, it is so much more.

I did not enjoy this one. While there were definitely some aspects that were interesting, such as watching a slow decent into madness, as a whole, I found the story fairly pointless. My mind was not trying to figure out what would happen as very little was happening in the story. As a result, I found it very unstimulating. This book became my cure for insomnia. Four pages and I was out.

I can't say that this was written poorly, because it was not. I can't say that the characters were depicted poorly, because they were not either. In fact, they were very clearly shown. I just didn't find myself caring for them,

This book, under 300 pages long, took me 13 days to read! That only happens when I am not enjoying a book. I should have just put it down and found something else, after all, I am not short of books to read.

Who would I recommend this to? Someone I don't like? Someone who needs help dropping off to sleep at night? Maybe someone who is interested in some strange psyche? I gave this two stars on Goodreads. It was OK, and at least, for 13 days, I got some good sleep.

I hope I will enjoy the other Ruth Rendell books I have. Had I picked that one up first, I would not have been as happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment