Saturday 10 October 2015

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

I picked up this one because it was short-listed for the Man Booker Prize for 2015. I had heard some good things about it on Booktube, so I was quite thrilled when my favourite bookseller pulled this one off the shelf.


“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Giving a synopsis of this book is near impossible, besides saying that it is an interesting study into a family. That is why I chose to quote Tolstoy instead. Because I think this book actually disproves his famous quote. I don't think there is such a thing as a happy family. The family is this book is not unhappy, per se, but it is not perfect either. It is just 'real'.

As with all human interactions, there are two sides to every story. This book reveals the 'truths'. I enjoyed how learning some things later on instead of at the beginning led to some rather confusing and contradictory feelings towards some characters.

The writing itself is rather difficult to talk about. Tyler made it seem completely effortless, which if nothing else, shows mastery. I appreciated the leaps through time and thoughts, and at no point felt that I was confused or lost - or bored. But having said that, I felt a bit disappointed. I think it might have been  because the book is up for the Man Booker prize and as a result, is also up for every Dick, Tom, Jack and post-grad Eng Lit student to criticise too. I felt it was missing something - but I do not know what.  The story didn't need to be more complicated, nor did it need to be written in any other way than it was. Perhaps I wanted a sense of closure or resolve. But some things were left inconclusive - which perhaps is also fair, because some things, especially when it comes to family, are never resolved.

I gave this one 3 stars on Goodreads, although I cannot justify my decision. I liked it, didn't love it. That is all I can say, in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment