Friday 3 July 2015

Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

There is no pretending otherwise. I am a fan of Neil Gaiman's. I love how he can take an old classic story, put a twist on it, and make it something completely surprising. I love his use of words. He doesn't swamp the page with highfalutin words. He keeps it neat and necessary. But, he has an awesome talent for just twisting things enough to get them to jump off the page in a new, catchy way.
Oh, how I love reading Neil Gaiman.

Which, of course, is why I picked up Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances. In case you have been stuck on Mars for the past 2 years and aren't aware, Trigger Warning is a collection of short stories. Every now and again, there is a poem tossed in too.

As with all short story collections, there are the favourites and the not-so-favourites. As a whole, though, I found most of these enjoyable. The cherry and cream puff on top was The Man who Forgot Ray Bradbury. Oh wow. Just wow. I absolutely adore this one. I actually dragged my book to school, sought out the only person I know in real life who would enjoy it and sat him down (by this time, I had already made my mom listen to it), and forced him to read it. Just so that I could share the love of a brilliantly constructed, chilling, masterful story. I adored it. If you would like to hear it, and don't have the book on hand, you can have the absolute pleasure of listening to Neil Gaiman read it here. (I could listen to him read the minutes of parliament, and be enraptured!)

There were some other notable mentions: The Doctor Who short, along with The Sleeper and the Spindle and The Black Dog. I enjoyed seeing Shadow again (from American Gods - a book I would perhaps only recommend to the die hard Gaiman fans, or at least advise that it not be the first Gaiman book to read.)

I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads.
This one does not qualify for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge as it was published this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment