Saturday 13 June 2015

The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard

I was on a hunt for a short play to do with one of my classes at school. I read this almost twenty years ago at university and loved it then.  I am glad I did. I think I found it a lot funnier this time round.

The Real Inspector Hound shows a play within a play. We watch Birdboot and Moon who are theatre critics conversing while a play is going on. The play they are watching is reminiscent of Agatha Christie type murder mysteries. It even opens with a dead body on the floor! And to say much more is to spoil it. (The book is only 36 pages after all.)

This was hilarious to read. I must admit that I appreciated the critics' voices a lot more now that I am older and have been subjected to a lot more reviews of that nature. I also enjoyed the ending, which suited the genre perfectly.

Not too sure if this would be too advanced for the kids though. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions.

I gave this 4 stars on Goodreads (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment