Thursday 14 May 2015

The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker

A golem is awoken on a ship sailing to the new world just before her master dies. A djinni is accidentally released from a lamp in a very young America. Neither are human; both need to fit in.

This was a very well-crafted, enjoyable story. The plot moves with a good pace, although, fans of more action packed novels would probably find it slow, as there is not a lot of action or suspense built. But having said that, the story does keep moving, and it does keep the reader curious to find out what happened in the past and was was going to happen. What more could one ask for? I have always enjoyed stories where one needs to keep an eye out for clues, and this one definitely fell into that category.

I thoroughly enjoyed the friendship between Chava and Ahmad, and I appreciated that some friendships lasted and other didn't, and some had hiccoughs, and others didn't. It was a very realistic view on friendship. I really enjoyed watching how Chava and Ahmad met and slowly became friends. The transition was not rushed, and as a result, it felt more valuable. I also appreciated how Ahamd and Arbeely grew apart, plagued with jealousy and frustration with each other.

What I really liked most though, was not the claim that these two were on a hunt to discover what it meant to be human, but to discover what it meant to be themselves and to embrace that. I felt that there was a lot of emphasis on one's nature and what that meant, and accepting that for all the good and bad it entailed.

I felt that there was something lacking, though, but I can't put my finger on it. It might have to do with the fact that I barely managed to get through a few pages at night and that that interrupted the flow of the reading experience and robbed something from it. Or it might be something else.

I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads. I must admit that I think 4 stars might be a little generous, but it was definitely better than 3.
This was the 21st book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment