Sunday 24 May 2015

Room by Emma Donoghue

This has to be one of my favourite reads of the year so far!

“Scared is what you're feeling. Brave is what you're doing.”

― Emma Donoghue, Room

Imagine being raised in a room. Imagine never realising that there is a world outside the door. Just imagine. Jack and his mother do not need to imagine. They know.

I absolutely adored this book. I do not want to go into too many details with regards to the plot because I feel that some of the experience of reading the book will be lost if even the small spoilers are dropped.That always makes a review very difficult though.

I loved Donoghue's choice of narrator. She had the little, five-year-old boy telling the story, which made it a lot more adventurous in tone than it would have been if one of the adults were narrating. I loved the way she had him personify things in the room and his use of kiddie language, getting things like the irregular verbs incorrect. His understanding of the world was also gorgeous. It is the reader's job to read between the lines and work out what is really happening in the story. The real story is heavy and dark, but because of Jack it is not.

The sociological concept was intriguing. (Vague!? Yes! I am sorry, but I really do not want to spoil you!) I must admit that I was very impressed with Donoghue's approach in dealing with it and it got me debating it with my mom, brother and sister-in-law for quite a few days. I even took the ideas to work and debated them with the therapist and another teacher. I love it when a book makes me think long after I am done reading it.

Jack was a delightful character to read from. Although we only ever get to see his mother through his eyes, she was really interesting too. I thought that she was extremely invented and exceptionally intelligent. The routine and crafts that she put together for Jack in the room were inspired. I do not know if I would have been as good as she was. Her character does plummet later, but I feel that that is completely understandable. I do not detract stars from books because I do not like characters or because they do things that bug me. In her case I think she is justifiable. Let me explain in a way that has absolutely NOTHING to do with this book. I worked in South Korea for 3 years. The culture there surprised me, but I was expecting it to. What I didn't expect was the culture shock I got when I returned back HOME. Yes. Insane, crazy, whatever, but it is true. And I am not the only one who has experienced this. Apparently it is completely normal. So that is why I can understand Jack's mother. I think her issues are realistic, and although it showed her weakness, it was right that she should have them.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in psychological or sociological theories. I would also recommend it for those who are wanting a change from the normal stories out there. This one is original in both execution and plot.

This was the 22nd book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge.
I gave this 5 stars on Goodreads. I will definitely reread this book at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment