Wednesday 29 April 2015

11.22.63 by Stephen King

Yay for long weekends! I started this book on holiday, but this as the term from hell for me, as I have over twenty assessment tasks (twelve of them being exam papers) to set in a ridiculously short space of time, I do not really have a ton of time for reading. This weekend though, my head decided it was going on strike and refused to do anything more productive than read. I did not complain.

Jake Epping, high school English teacher, is given an interesting opportunity. He can go back in time and stop a tragedy from happening - the assassination of JFK.  There is at least one catch: the trip to the past takes him to one particular date, so the job is going to take five years... A lot can happen in five years.

This was really entertaining. The plot was nail-biting for the most part. King really manages to carry an ominous tone throughout. I must confess that when I reached the middle part, I got a bit impatient for Jake/George to get on with the big plan - but then I fell in love with the place he was at and the characters he was with, and suddenly, the plan was no longer my priority. I just wanted to continue living with the people and seeing what happened to them in the future. In fact, this is one of the few books that I would literally like to see. I wonder if they will ever make a movie of it?

Stephen King is really good at bringing worlds and people alive. This story thrilled me, broke my heart, shocked me and left me wanting more. I would recommend this to almost anyone, although I could see how an impatient reader might find it a bit slow in places.

This is the 18th book I have read for the 2015 TBR Pile Reading challenge. 
I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment