Thursday 15 January 2015

Exposure by Kathy Reichs and Brandon Reichs

Give me the next book now - please! What an ending!!!!

I haven't heard anyone discuss these books before. What a loss that is. Maybe they don't get the attention because, for once, this is a YA series that is not all about romance. It is about science and that is awesome. The main premise is a bit stretched (think something along the lines of Spiderman), but the rest is awesome science. I was even interested in the mini lesson on phosphates. I think this is even more important because there is still that silly stupid rumour out there that boys are better than girls at science and maths. Like gender really determines things like that. To quote Tory, "Blergh".

Exposure, the 4th book in the Virals series, picks up shortly after Code. I was glad that it gave a quick recap of the previous book because I must admit I was a bit foggy on the finer details. It has been a while. But in no time, everything fell into place and I was off again, into the world of the Virals.

So what is happening in Charleston this time? Twins are missing. A ransom is released. The Virals are on the trail. But the pack is damaged from the events of the previous book. And something else is damaged too. Can they trust their powers?

I absolutely adore Tory Brennan, Tempe Brennan's (a.k.a Bones) grand niece. She is the only girl in the group, the leader of the group, and not only super smart but physically normal too. (By that I mean she hasn't been stuck in the unfit super-nerd category.) She makes a great role model for teen girls (so long as you don't look at her record of breaking and entering, stealing evidence, sneaking out at night or ditching school - although, at least in her defence for the last one, she gets super marks). As a teacher, I would love to push these books onto the kids. Unfortunately pushing books rarely works on anyone, teenagers being the least likely candidates on that list. But I live in hope. One day... Maybe I can try and grab some interest with Hi's sense of humour. Actually, the sense of humour, although the story itself is serous, is bloody brilliant. Love Tory's similes. "Being a Viral is like golfing in a thunder storm."

I can't wait to see what is going to happen in the final book, Terminal. It is expected out, according to Goodreads, on the 15th of March of this year. Yay! Two months exactly to go - unless you live where I do. It is more likely 6 months. Not so yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment